Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Speech - Oral Language Examples

In Room 18 we are currently learning about speaking in the form of speeches. We have been looking at presenting through speech and sharing with an audience through a range of situations and topics so far this year.


As a class we came up with some criteria to guide ourselves while speaking:

  • We will use good volume by being not too loud and not to soft.
  • We will be confident in our delivery.
  • We will be clearly spoken. This could be ensuring we are well practiced, use clearly formed words and try not to hesitate during our speech.
  • We will face the audience.
  • We will use eye contact with all of our audience.
  • We will be enthusiastic.
  • We will use both body and vocal expression in our speeches. By using things like gesture, movement and facial expression.
  • We will try to make our speech interesting to our audience. It should be well written and may contain humour, questions, controversy, quoatations and facts or weird things to hook the audience.

We will be using video to analyse our work. Here are the first samples we will try posting:



It would be most helpful to these children if you could post constructive feedback in relation to our class criteria - Be sure to say which clip or person you are talking to.

10 comments:

Jacob said...

i think you should be calmer. i liked your style

daphney09 said...

Aidan:I like the way you structured your speech. Your intro was really good and I liked your volume, it was just right.You made a mistake in the part where you said that you had an Irish dad and a NZ mum, but you just kept on going. I picked that out the 2nd time I watched the clip.COOL!!

Nicky and Zach:It was pretty hard to see if you were doing eye contact or not because the camera was at the side, but I think you did a bit of eye contact.I noticed Nicky playing with his hands and I found it distracting.Nicky should have a copy of the speech like probably printed so that next time you don't have to keep on looking down. Next time rise the volume up. AWESOME!!

Zahra, Isla and Rebcca:I liked the way you guys shared some words and lines, because you were fair to each other.Good volume.GOOD WORK!!

Shania:Your speech was interesting! I'm looking forward to hearing more about Tonga. I think you can improve by raising the volume up a bit.NICE JOB!!

Anneke and Xavier:Nice speech! Your volume is good and I liked the way you used eye contact.I saw Anneke playing with the cue cards and was kind of distracting me.I saw that Xavier made a mistake that was pretty obvious.You had a very good speech.Your speech rules!!Wicked!!

Matthew said...

Aidan


Like Daphney said you did have a little hesitation when you were talking about you mum and dad. Other than that I think it was well written and clearly spoken...


Good Job

rock n roll said...

Zach and Nicky i liked your voluem but think you should work a little bit on your eye contact because you were looking alot at the papper.

By zahra

sophie said...

I think maybe Zack could speak louder.Nicky you could STOP FIDDLING.
By sophie.

daphney09 said...

I agree with Zahra because it was really pretty hard to see if you were doing eye contact because the camera was at the side.
Nice work for picking that out Zahra.

Pam Thompson said...

Hi Room 18. What a great way to evaluate your talks. Watching/listening to yourself is always very informative.

Anika & Xavier, I think you are well on the way to fulfilling the criteria your class has set for your talks. You both speak very clearly and look at the audience (the camera) regularly. You also appear to have memorised much of your information which is great. Well done.

Unknown said...

Jack and Oliver:I liked your speech and your confidence,but oliver you could of forgoten that you made a mistake.

By singh (Jasnil)

Anneke said...

Anneke and Xavier: I think i could not fiddle so much with the speech cards because foe me I found it a little bit destracting.Xavier could do do that to, but for the future I think both of us could memorise our speechs and learn them of by heart.

Nicky and Zach:I like and enjoyed the structure of you speech, I thought it was well written. But I agree with the comments Zahra and Daphney posted you could use more eye contact. To prevent that next time you could use cue cards.

Aidan:Also I liked the structure of your intro for your speech but you did hesitate a little which I did pick out, you could use a little more eye contact but other than that I thought is was great.

Zahra,Isla and Rebecca:I liked your volume and that was easy to pick out because alot of people were talking in the back ground. But I did get a bit confused at times when you shared the sentinces mabe you could spreed the speech out a bit more but great work.

Shania:I think your speech was very intresting about Tonga but next time rasie the volume a little and a bit more eye contact.

Anneke

gaustin4180 said...

Wow! You all did a fantastic job! I learned some things I didn't know before!

Great work!

www.mraustinsblog.com